ponedeljek, 16. marec 2015

Meeting up with: THE QUEEN IN PERSON



The Queen in person




The first thing coming to my mind, when someone mentioned Queen or Freddie Mercury, was a strange name of a strange moustache-wearing guy with a strange style. We used to have one of The greatest hits casette back home and on the inside, there was a well-known picture (I figured that out couple of years later) of Freddie in his cat-imaged vest. He wasn`t wearing moustache on that picture, but I knew that was the guy, because he was the only one back then I knew under the term „special“. Well, the thing is, as soon as I started digging deeper into music, I liked Queen. I just didn`t know why that was so. And as soon as I found out I like it, I put a line of what I call good music  a little higher, than I knew. And that line is still pretty hard to reach. Well, it may be a detail, I forgot to tell and it might be the key. The thing Freddie died before I was born made me think different of him and everytime I listened to his music, I thought how I never could hear him again. And as I was younger, I couldn`t imagine, how a guy, with such a „fortune“ could die so early yet with so much to give. And that`s the way I listened to him. Everytime as I hear him for the last time and as I have to determine and listen very close, because I can`t have another chance to change my mind.
Funny, I know, but it seems to me, even back then I figured it`s quite a deal to beat Freddie. Not only because of his amaizing charisma and apperance on the stage. Not at all, his vocal technique and let`s put a bit aside his wide vocal range (because that`s what he`s mostly referred to), he could sing with so much passion and in the other moment, he could sound so fragile, but yet always with confidence and class. Who could find a better name for that than a Queen? Maybe due to We will rock you musical I saw back in school days or it might be listening to all kinds of mimics and karaoke and such. After I watched the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and after I visited the Queen gig with Adam Lambert, my thoughts came clear. Well, now I see, why everybody calls Freddie irreplaceable. I know it`s difficult to stand into someone`s shoes, when he used to die in his glory and he was so popular and yet with such talent, but he really knew how to do it. Let`s see why.
Besides all the music genres I like and listen to, I`m also a great fan of classical music and opera as such. I recall, when I was little, once I decided, I was about eight I think, well I decided to go to opera and made my mother go with me. It was rare occasion, I could go to bed after 9 p.m. and it seemed so classy to me. I liked the way I could be acting in the opera and I liked the way I was dressed. I even could taste a bit of champagnemy mama got in the opera cafe, so I still got the tickets of Fedora we watched back then. But especially I liked the whoel story on the stage, I was taken by the whole story, told in the other language, I was familiar with. In the language of music. And maybe even back then, I developed this love for tragic, melanholic characters, I still prefer. I liked different characters, drags, being always someone else, taking different challenging identitites and I loved this rich scne eont he stage. Thats why I still like classical pieces. Well the music, I always liked Chopin and Schumann for their emotions and Mozart and even Bach for their music full of „decorations“ of any kind. And so is with opera. Always dynamic. Always something happening.
Well I put that down, because the best reference I find to compare Freddie`s music is opera. He changed notes so quickly, he changes volume, he changes the rhytm, so it takes a precise listener, to follow it and try to understand it later to appreciate it. Confident prince in one moment, in the next one fragile desperate lover, and in the next rock god! But always he`s been singing with such passion and with so mush feelings, so this might be the thing why he`s so hard to beat. Not only Bohemian rhapsody, also Hard life and Breakthrough are my favourites, because one could hardly find some sort of pattern, appearing in all the songs. Maybe that`s because there ain`t one. Every piece is a piece by itself. I remember when I got (some years after the cassette) the cd Greatest hits 2 by Queen, I learned all the songs by heart. I was fascinated by Hard life and Breaktrough how the beginning gives impression of completely different song and then it flows into different rhytm. Compeletely different and so dynamic. Let`s say We will rock you. Wonderful proof of dyinamc song and experimenting. Sail away sweet sister, Who wants to live forever and Show must go on, well these remain very close to me, for so many emotions in them and they sound so clear and so honest. With no extra over-reactions and pomp around the emotions and feelings and all. Straight just the way things are. Just like one of my favourites, Love of my life.
Something to do with his persona, also the whole character of Freddie is fascinating. So far from anything compared ti music environment, he later worked in, but he succeded for his outstanding will and talent, though first Queen`s albums were not well accepted and though his sexual orientation, which was back then important thing determining someone`s career. Beyond that, he managed to put all aside and in the heart of it it was only about music and good energy. And this music is still binding people together from all sorts of places, all kinds of people, long after he left.
I read somewhere he had incredible ability to play the tones he heard on the radio and since always he thought he was special. When he was staying in Munich, he allegedly said hello to random people he met on the streets. Even his very strong „man“ persona was seen in his costumes and gestures. A real chameleon, in his videos and concerts, he changed so many outfits, just like this is really some sort of theatre and hes got lots of shows to do. But yet his vulnerability and sensitivity was always seen. Mostly, when he sang with his eyes closed. Such sounds came right from his heart. Just before he passed, when Those were the days of our lives were recorded and he was really weak, they say he would be gone much sooner if he wouldn`t have so much to give. They say it was his creativity keeping him alive. I say it was his heart.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar